IMO Secretary-General statements
Personal message from IMO Secretary-General Kitack Lim to seafarers (21 April 2020)
IMO Secretary-General Kitack Lim statement (19 March 2020) Tackling COVID-19 – a voyage together
IMO press briefings: click here.
Advice for IMO Member States, seafarers and shipping
IMO has issued the following circular letters:
- Circular Letter No.4204/Add.15(6 May 2020) – Coronavirus (COVID 19) – Personal protective equipment
- Circular Letter No.4204/Add.14(5 May 2020) – Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Recommended framework of protocols for ensuring safe ship crew changes and travel during the coronavirus (COVID-19) pandemic
- Circular Letter No.4204/Add.13(5 May 2020) – Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Recommendations for Governments and relevant national authorities on facilitating the movement of offshore energy sector personnel during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Circular Letter No.4204/Add.12(27 April 2020) – Coronavirus (COVID 19) – Declaration by Port Authorities Roundtable (PAR) members in view of the global COVID-19 situation
- Circular Letter No.4204/Add.11(24 April 2020) – Coronavirus (COVID 19) – EC Guidelines on protection of health, repatriation and travel arrangements for seafarers, passengers and other persons on board ships
- Circular Letter No.4204/Add.10(22 April 2020) – Joint Statement IMO-WHO-ILO on medical certificates of seafarers, ship sanitation certificates and medical care of seafarers in the context of the COVID-19 pandemic
- Circular Letter No.4204/Add.9 (16 April 2020) – Joint Statement IMO-WCO on the integrity of the global supply chain during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Circular Letter No.4204/Add.8(14 April 2020) – Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Video meeting with port State control (PSC) regimes (includes joint statement and statements and/or relevant temporary guidance issued by the United States, the Acuerdo de Viña del Mar and the Caribbean, Indian Ocean, Mediterranean, Paris and Tokyo MOUs
- Circular Letter No.4204/Add.7(3 April 2020) – Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Guidance concerning unforeseen delays in the delivery of ships
- Circular Letter No.4204/Add.6(27 March 2020) Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Preliminary list of recommendations for Governments and relevant national authorities on the facilitation of maritime trade during the COVID-19 pandemic
- Circular Letter No.4204/Add.5/Rev.1(2 April 2020) Coronavirus (COVID-19) – Guidance relating to the certification of seafarers and fishing vessel personnel
- Circular Letter No.4204/Add.4(5 March 2020) contains ICS Coronavirus (COVID-19) Guidance for ship operators for the protection of the health of seafarers
- Circular Letter No.4204/Add.3 (2 March 2020) – Operational considerations for managing COVID-19 cases/outbreak on board ships
- Circular Letter No.4204/Add.2(21 February 2020) contains the Joint Statement IMO-WHO on the Response to the COVID-19 Outbreak and encourages Member States and international organizations to disseminate it as widely as possible. Available in the six official languages of the United Nations system.
- Circular Letter No.4204/Add.1 (19 February 2020) provides advice on Implementation and enforcement of relevant IMO instruments
- Circular Letter No.4203.Add.1 (12 February 2020) provides information and guidance on the precautions to be taken to minimize risks to delegates
- Circular Letter No.4204 (31 January 2020) providing information and guidance, based on recommendations developed by the World Health Organization (WHO), on the precautions to be taken to minimize risks to seafarers, passengers and others on board ships from the coronavirus.
Communications received from Member States and Associate Members
IMO has received, and circulated, communications from Member States and Associate Members Communications
Click here to view full list of communications received by country and subject.
Download PDF – Table overview: List of Circular Letters with COVID-19 related notifications received from Member States (updated weekly).